Scholarship funds are donated by B-WISER sponsors.
There are two possible types of B-WISER scholarships:
(i) Campers competing in science competitions might be awarded a certificate. These are valued at $100 off the camp fee. To receive the scholarship, you must submit a copy of your award certificate.
(ii) Campers who qualify for free or reduced meals at their schools might be eligible for a financial aid scholarship. Note that the applicant’s household income must meet the necessary criteria, regardless of if the whole school receives free or reduced meals. Need-based scholarships are valued at $450 off the base camp fee, so that the applicant pays only $150. To receive the scholarship, you must submit a copy of your school letter stating that the student qualifies for the free or reduced meals program. Or if no letter is available (e.g. because the entire school receives the program), then you must demonstrate need by completing this form regarding your family income. Scholarships are only awarded after income eligibility documentation is received and reviewed.
To apply for the financial aid scholarship, you must submit a copy of the school letter or the income form. Email the project director and include (1) applicant’s name, (2) current school grade, (3) documentation of eligibility (either the school letter or the income form). Note there are a limited number of these need-based scholarships available.
The maximum scholarship possible is $450. If a camper is awarded both types of scholarships, then the $100 merit award certificate off-sets the financial aid award, reducing the financial aid scholarship to $350.
More Details about the Free or Reduced Lunch Financial Aid Scholarship:
1. The family must qualify for the “National School Breakfast and Lunch Program for Ohio” in order to be eligible to apply for a need-based financial aid scholarship.
2. Campers will be considered on a first come, first serve basis when their application is completed, with a limited number of scholarships being granted per school.
3. A completed application includes: (i) the submitted online application, (ii) the reduced camp payment of $150, and (iii) the free or reduced lunch letter or the income qualification form if a letter is not available. Please email all documentation to email@example.com or send it to B-WISER, Department of Physics, The College of Wooster, Wooster, OH 44691. (Please include the camper’s name and grade-level, so that it is clear with which application it goes.)
4. We will notify campers of their scholarship status after receiving all of the above information.
5. If the camper does not receive a scholarship and the family is unable to pay the remaining $450 balance, the $150 will be refunded to the person who provided the payment.
If you have any questions, please email Manon Grugel-Watson, project coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-263-2105.