The mission of The College of Wooster B-WISER Science Camp for Middle School Girls is to encourage this underrepresented demographic to pursue their interests in science throughout their education and career path by surrounding campers with like-minded peers, engaging them in hands-on experiments in a broad range of scientific disciplines, and introducing them to women role models in diverse scientific careers.
Goals and learning objectives for B-WISER participants:
- Enhance your excitement, interest, and motivation to learn about phenomena in the natural and physical world;
- Build confidence in your own ability to generate and understand concepts in science;
- Participate in scientific investigations and learning practices with others, using scientific language and tools;
- Learn more about how to pursue a science-related career; and
- Further your own science education.
Objectives of the B-WISER summer science camp:
- Provide fun hands-on laboratory experiments and demonstrations designed to pique interest;
- Offer collaborative science classes which require campers to work with scientific equipment and draw conclusions from their data;
- Provide numerous opportunities for girls to utilize methods of scientific investigation;
- Introduce students to experienced and successful women working in STEM fields;
- Encourage and empower campers, who are underrepresented in STEM fields, to pursue their interests in science.
Outcomes for B-WISER campers:
- Increase self-confidence and interest in science;
- Enroll in STEM classes in high school and beyond;
- Broaden knowledge of STEM-related professions; and
- Meet and connect with other women in science.